This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the ACT Heritage Library.
|Title/Caption: ||Canberra Hospital on Acton Peninsula, aerial view looking west from Hospital Point|
|Photographer :||Reidie, David|
Is part of the Canberra Times Collection
aerial views, peninsulas, Canberra, car parks, hospitals
|Comments:||Published in Canberra Times 19 November 1974, p. 92 and 10 February 1975, p. 2.
The first Canberra Hospital was a series of wooden buildings on Acton Peninsula built between 1913 and 1942. A brick hospital was constructed in 1942 which was first occupied by the United States Army Medical Corps. The Canberra Hospital Board took over the new premises in February 1943.
The hospital was known as the Canberra Community Hospital until 1979 when it became the Royal Canberra Hospital. The Royal Canberra Hospital was closed in November 1991 and amalgamated with the Woden Valley Hospital. The amalgamated service became known as the Canberra Hospital from July 1996 and occupies the Woden Valley Hospital complex in Garran. The main Acton building was destroyed by implosion on 13 July 1997. The site is now the occupied by the National Museum of Australia.|