This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the ACT Heritage Library.
|Title/Caption: ||Government housing using monocrete (concrete) as a building material located in MacPherson Street, O'Connor|
|Date taken:||March 1951|
|Location: ||MacPherson Street, O'Connor, Canberra|
Is part of the Department of Capital Territory albums "Pictorial Record of Canberra 1951-1953"
buildings, structures and establishments, Canberra, public housing, construction materials, roads and streets, suburbs, houses, housing developments, housing estates
|Comments:||Vol. 1, page 40, INT. 148
Between 1951 to 1952 only 40 private enterprise houses were built in Canberra. The Government remained the leading provider of housing during this same period having built 635 government dwellings. To build a house privately required a reasonable case being presented to the Government for a permit, followed by the struggle to obtain materials caused by post-World War II shortages. By 1954 a four year period on a waiting list was required for a three-bedroom brick house.
Concrete walls were introduced from 1945 to counter the brick shortage. Beginning in 1946, 100 monocrete houses were constructed in O’Connor and Turner and then in 1948 another 45 were proposed for Yarralumla with an improved design.
Source - Cornerstone of the Capital. A history of public housing in Canberra / Bruce Wright, ACT Housing, 2000. |